Thursday, July 29, 2010

July-week 4


This week it feels like the box is a little sparse, perhaps the rain the last few days has slowed the harvest. We still got a buch of great looking produce. I again traded out the eggplant, this time for a large bag of carrots which is missing from this photo as is the okra this week since I used them on Wed night and had already put them away come picture time.

This week we got purple basil, mint, some kind of winter squash who's name eludes me, lots of hot peppers, bell peppers, a mini watermelon, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, okra, cucumbers and garlic.

On Wed night I made a veggie curry which I used the carrots and my remaining yellow squash from last week. As a side dish I made a crispy okra salad from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. It was interesting, I liked the okra better this way than fried with cornmeal like last week.

Tonight I made a fantastic pasta dish with a red onion and the acorn squash from last week.

As I head off to bed tonight I'm going to put together a pitcher of Sassy Water for tomorrow. Hoping I'll like it and it'll give me something to do with all this fresh mint. I'm going to make some caramelized peppers and onions as well to have for lunch with some leftover naan bread from our Indian night on Wed.

Saturday we'll be having dinner with some friends. I'll probably find a summer squash/zucchini recipe to share and will take them some roasted garlic and some of my fig preserves from last week. I think the rest of the carrots are going to make a fantastic carrot cake and just possibly end up in carrot cake ice cream!

Sunday I'm going to try my hand at gumbo to use the rest of the okra and a few of the hot peppers. Monday night will be our fish night and I'll make pesto fish with the purple basil. Curious to see how that looks. Tuesday I'm planning to make a winter squash risotto to go with maybe some ham steaks or chicken.

If I can't use all the mint up I'm going to try freezing it for later use as I hate to see it go to waste.

Onward to next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment